Welcome to VDB and noise in Houdini.
This series will teach you how to generate a variety or organic and inorganic shapes and structures using VDB and the various procedural noise maps and textures available in Houdini.
Over the course of the training we will see how generate a variety of rocks, cliffs and even recreate a Megascans cliff. We will also take a look at how to bake the details from the high res geometry to a low res model.
Towards the end we shall also take a look at how to create hard surface models using VDB and Noise maps.
- VDB basics – A look at the basic vdb tools required for modeling which include, vdb from polygons, vdb reshape, vdb smooth, volume vop, delete small parts and sharpen
- Noise distortion and ramps – Applying noise maps ,unified and turbulent noise, distorting noise maps and controlling noise using ramps
- Basic rock shapes – making some basic rock shapes using a combination of alligator noise, cellular noise and some noise distortion.
- More rock shapes – Building stepped rocks and a cluster of rocks using a combination of noise maps
- Megascans rock – recreating a megascans cliff asset using procedural noise maps
- Cliffs – building a cliff structure by combining a cluster of rock shapes and further modification using volume vop
- Material Fracture – making a rock using a combination of material fracture and noise maps in a volume vop
- VDB color – extracting color and other attributes from a vdb to polygon level.
- Baking – learning how to bake a high res mesh to a low poly object and building a shader in substance painter
- Volume masking – Masking a volume vop using a secondary volume field
- Hard surface modeling – learning how to mirror noise maps and making a sci-fi model using noise maps and ramps
- Uv mapping and vdb – using uv maps and polar coordinates to modify noise maps in a vdb